This course is intended for developers and engineers that want to build complex documents/reports (e.g. traceability reports) in IBM® Rational® Publishing Engine v6.0 +
Note: As of version 7.0, IBM Rational Publishing Engine (RPE) is renamed to IBM Engineering Lifecycle Optimization - Publishing (PUB), and IBM DOORS Next Generation is renamed to IBM Engineering Requirements Management DOORS Next.
IBM® Rational® Publishing Engine is an automated document generation solution that generates documents from Rational products and selected applications from other vendors that use XML and REST interfaces.
This two-day, hands-on class covers all aspects of building RPE templates and connect them to DNG to generate requirements documents.
This basic course is for:
- Business/Requirements Analyst
- Systems / Software Engineer
- Product Manager
- Support/QA Engineer
- Technical Document Author
After completing this course, you should be able to use IBM Rational Publishing Engine (RPE) to:
- Install/Configure RPE components
- Understand data structure - learn how DNG reportable API works
- Learn how to iterate different types of elements like resources, modules, text, collections, etc.
- Understand the difference between reporting on a module vs a view
- Learn how to export basic and custom requirement attributes
- Learn how to export diagrams
- Learn how to build traceability by following different types of links in DNG
- Learn best practices regarding DNG templates
- Learn how to deploy/run RPE templates in DNG web client
- IBM Rational Publishing Engine - components overview
- Document Studio
- Standalone Launcher
- Configure RPE components
- Working with DNG XML Schemas
- Importing schemas for: resources, modules, text, collections, terms, reviews, use case diagrams, etc.
- Performing different operations on schemas: upgrade, edit, rename.
- Design basic RPE templates for DNG
- Adding simple elements: container, paragraph, text, table, etc.
- Adding queries
- Exporting requirement attributes
- Using variables and conditions
- Report on DNG Modules (book format) and requirements
- Using conditions to display differently the module headlines and text requirements
- Using Dynamic Datasource Element
- Extract more information from each resource using dynamic data source configuration
- Follow links: using POX for data reconfiguration
- Sorting and filtering requirements
- RPE and Native sort
- RPE and Native filter
- Create dynamic filters using external variables
- Report on DNG Module Views
- Include diagrams
- Use case diagrams, user interface (UI), sketches, or business process modeling diagrams
- Handling the ToC, ToT, and ToF sections
- Create traceability reports
- Export links like DerivedLink (design) and ValidatedBy (verification)
- Format documents
- Using RPE format properties
- Using RPE internal styles
- Using external styles
- Format elements based on conditions
- Test, document, and debug RPE templates
- Enable DNG debugging for document generation
- Deploy and install RPE templates in the DNG web client
- Publish documents directly from the DNG web client
Contact us to get a customized offer for your team. Upon discussion, we can learn you a process and include important elements and terms known to your team into the training program.