This extension allows you to create a Link between two artifacts in DNG according to certain rules. You can specify rules that take into account the following parameters: Types of linked artifacts, Link type, Artifact placement.)
The "Links Builder" extension is a powerful tool designed to enhance and streamline the usability of the IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM) Tool, specifically in the domain of traceability link creation. Its primary objective is to simplify and regulate the process of establishing links between various artifacts within the DOORS Next Generation (DNG) environment, ensuring adherence to organizational link creation policies.
With the "Links Builder" extension, users can effortlessly create links between two artifacts in DNG, following predefined rules that consider specific parameters such as the types of linked artifacts, the link type, and the placement of artifacts. This tool empowers users to maintain consistent link creation practices across projects and reduces the potential for error in link establishment.
Use Cases and Features
Based on the functionalities and use cases that this extension is helping you with, we kept the user interface as simple as possible. In the current version of the widget you can find:
- Widget information section - section with version, short description and other informations about the widget
- Edit link rules button - button for displaying and providing the possibility to edit the rules stored in SJA
- Dropdown selection of a Link Type - with all the Link Types from the Project or Component (only one can be selected)
- Add Target Artifacts button - button for selecting target artifacts (after a click on it, there will be a modal window displayed. Same as is displayed when “Create a Link…” is used in DOORS NG).
- Check Artifacts button – button that starts the process of checking artifacts and their links and compare them with rules
- Create Links button - button that will start the operation of creating the links in the artifacts
The "Links Builder" extension addresses the common challenges faced by DOORS Next Generation users when it comes to traceability link creation. Without this extension, users may encounter difficulties in adhering to company-specific link creation policies, leading to inconsistent linkages and potential errors in their projects. This extension aims to solve these problems by providing a structured approach to link creation, guided by customizable rules. It ensures that users can create and manage traceability links efficiently, promoting better project organization and compliance with company policies.
The Links Builder widget has the following features:
- Customizable Link Creation Rules: The "Links Builder" extension allows users to define and customize rules governing the creation of traceability links. These rules consider essential parameters, including the types of linked artifacts, the link type, and the placement of artifacts. This flexibility ensures that link creation aligns with organizational policies and project requirements.
- Efficient Rule Management: Users can conveniently manage their linking rules through the extension. The rules are sourced from a specifically configured artifact, making it easy to modify them to suit the needs of a particular project. This capability enables users to create and update multiple rules quickly, enhancing project adaptability.
- Artifact Selection Options: "Links Builder" offers versatile artifact selection methods. Users can select artifacts either through the DNG interface or via the widget's dialog boxes, ensuring a user-friendly and intuitive experience.
- Guided User Assistance: The extension provides real-time guidance to users, offering messages and assistance even when they make incorrect selections during the link creation process. This feature minimizes errors and enhances the overall user experience.
- Role-Based Rule Editing: The extension allows for role-based rule editing, with "Administrator" role users having the ability to access and modify the link creation rules. By clicking the "Gear Wheel" icon in the Widget UI, administrators can open the rule file for editing. This functionality ensures that only authorized users can make changes to the link creation policies.
- Link Validation: "Links Builder" performs automatic validation of created links based on the predefined rules. Whenever a user selects an artifact or clicks the "Check Artifacts" button, the extension checks the validity of the links, whether within views or modules. This validation feature ensures that traceability links conform to established rules, promoting data integrity and consistency.
- OSLC Traceability Links: The extension extends its capabilities to create OSLC traceability links within the Requirements Management application. Users can initiate the creation of OSLC traceability links while making necessary selections based on the rules specified in the "Link Rules" file.
Softacus has developed the "Links Builder" extension, a powerful tool designed to enhance and streamline the usability of the IBM Engineering Lifecycle Management (ELM) Tool, specifically in the domain of traceability link creation. Its primary objective is to simplify and regulate the process of establishing links between various artifacts within the DOORS Next Generation (DNG) environment, ensuring adherence to organizational link creation policies.
Preconditions and Restrictions
The establishment of a link is exclusively supported for a pair of artifacts at any given instance.
We, in Softacus, are experts when it comes to consulting and service delivery of IBM software products and solutions in your business. We help our clients to improve visibility and transparency when licensing and managing commercial software, providing measurable value while increasing efficiency and accountability and we are providing services in different areas (see Softacus Services).
IBM ELM extensions developed by Softacus are free of charge for the customers who ordered IBM ELM licenses via Softacus or for the customers who ordered any of our services. If you are interested in any of our IBM ELM extensions, you found a bug or you have any enhancement request, please let us know at email@example.com.